Flood Insurance


CEMIC is an authorized carrier of flood insurance under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP defines a "flood" as the following:


"A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder's property) from:


  • Overflow of inland or tidal waters, or
  • Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or
  • Mudflow; or
  • Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above"


Unlike a standard homeowner’s policy, flood insurance covers losses to your property caused by flooding. Some of the things a standard flood policy will cover include:


  • Structural damage
  • Furnace, water heater and air conditioner
  • Flood debris clean-up
  • Floor surfaces such as carpeting and tile


You can also buy a flood insurance policy to cover the contents of your home, such as furniture, collectibles, clothing, jewelry and artwork.


Policies are available in three forms; Dwelling (most homes), General Property (apartments and businesses), and Residential Condominium Building Association (condominiums).


It's important to know that if you have a federally backed mortgage on a home located in a high-risk area or Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), federal law requires you to purchase flood insurance. Also, if you've received a federal grant for previous flood losses, you must have a flood insurance policy to qualify for future aid. When disaster strikes, flood insurance policy holder claims are paid even if a disaster is not Federally declared.


Flood insurance means you'll be reimbursed for all your covered losses. And unlike Federal aid, it never has to be repaid.

As long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, you're eligible to purchase flood insurance. To find out if your community participates, you can check the Community Status Book on FEMA.gov.


As a homeowner, you can insure your home up to $250,000 and its contents up to $100,000. If you're a renter, you can cover your belongings up to $100,000. As a non-residential property owner, you can insure your building and its contents up to $500,000.


In general, a policy dons not take effect until 30 days after you purchase flood insurance. So, if the weather forecast announces a flood alert for your area and you go to purchase coverage, it's already too late. You will not be insured if you buy a policy a few days before a flood.


To Report a Claim Click Here.



Copyright © 2020. CEM Insurance Company. All Rights Reserved.